Expert’s Advice: How to Make a Wig Less Shiny
Do you want your wig to look like as natural as your hair? No worries! I have some amazing and simple solutions for you.
A synthetic wig looks shinier than natural hair, since it reflects more light than natural hair. If you are using a synthetic wig, this over shininess can be an embarrassment for you and that’s the reason you might want to know ‘how to make wig less shiny’. Am I right?
Best (easy & simple) Solutions to Remove Shine from Wig at Home
Following three techniques shall help you to reduce excess shininess from a new wig primarily and give it a natural-look texture:
- Wash your new wig several times with water (you can even use your regular shampoo) prior to wearing it.
- Keep your wig in the sunlight for 2/3 minutes twice or thrice every week.
- Wear it in the house, keeping the lights on.
But there are a few wigs, which require additional treatment to reduce the excess shine and give it a natural look. The question is how to take shine out of wigs that require additional treatment and care?
How to Take Shine Out of Wigs
I can suggest a few tested and trusted techniques, which will enable you to take shine out of wigs at home and very easily. You don’t need to go to a hair salon to remove shine from wig anymore, if you apply the below-mentioned techniques that are very simple to follow, mostly using stuff readily available at home:
1. Use Baby Powder
Using baby powder possibly is the fastest way to remove shine from a wig. Just follow the below steps:
- Step 1: Apply baby powder on your synthetic wig
- Step 2: Strike gently.
- Step 3: Shake the wig to remove powders from it.
2. Use Vinegar
It is simple to apply too. Follow the following steps and you will get a less shiny wig like natural hair as you desired:
- Step 1: Mix 2 cups of vinegar (preferably apple cider vinegar) with a half-gallon water in a bucket.
- Step 2: Dip your synthetic wig into the mixture for around 6/7 minutes.
- Step 3: Drain the water away and wash the wig with cold water.
- Step 4: Dry naturally.
3. Use Fabric Softener
To make wigs less shiny with fabric softener, you need to apply the following simple steps:
- Step 1: Mix fabric softener with a little water in a pot.
- Step 2: Dip your wig into that mixture and leave it in the pot for around 10/15 minutes.
- Step 3: Take your wig out of the pot.
- Step 4: Wash with cold water.
- Step 5: Dry naturally.
A synthetic wig usually starts losing over shininess naturally within two to three months of use. But, most women prefer to remove the excess shine from the very first day of wearing it, so that it does not look unnatural. If you are one of those women wanting to look your wig as natural as real hair from day 1, you can also try any of the above techniques to reduce excess shine from your wig and wear it confidently.